[phenixbb] new Linux installers

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Thu Dec 5 10:46:23 PST 2013

Hi Linux/Phenix users--

We are now building installers on several "new" platforms, including Ubuntu
10.04 and several versions of CentOS (which isn't much different from
Fedora, except that it's supported by the virtual machine software we're
using).  Since we don't actually run these OSes outside of the VMs, we're
going to crowd-source the testing a little more than usual.  Our goal is to
retire our ancient Fedora 3 systems - these are old and slow and take up
too much space, but it's also the most compatible with other distributions.
 I'm hoping that the CentOS 5 builds will be a suitable replacement, or
perhaps CentOS 4 (but we can only build the 32-bit installer on that OS).

In addition to Ubuntu, I'm particularly interested in hearing whether any
of these builds runs smoothly on SuSE and Debian.  The virtual machine
software supposedly supports these OSes too but I haven't yet managed to
install SuSE on it after several attempts.

The latest builds are here:

https://www.phenix-online.org/download/phenix/nightly/?version=dev-1558&show_all=1

We're missing the 64-bit CentOS 5 build right now, but I hope to get that
working in the next few days.

thanks,
Nat