[phenixbb] reduce hangs

Jeff Headd jjheadd at lbl.gov
Tue Dec 3 06:45:41 PST 2013

Hi Andreas,

We have seen in the past some cases that cause Reduce to go into an
infinite loop, which I thought had been corrected, but perhaps your model
has found a corner-case that I have not considered. NCS vs. no NCS is not
the direct problem, it likely has to do with a particular set of coordinate
positions that you are reaching during refinement which causes the hydrogen
position determination to end up in either an infinite loop, or just an
optimization that isn't tractable in a reasonable amount of time. Hydrogens
are added for both NQH flips and for clashscore calculation if your input
model does not have them.

Would you be willing to send me your files (off list) for debugging
purposes? If I can recreate the behavior here, I'll be able to figure out
exactly where Reduce is getting hung up.

Thanks,
Jeff