[phenixbb] Table 1 stastics

Kay Diederichs Kay.Diederichs at uni-konstanz.de
Fri Oct 19 08:07:58 PDT 2012

Dear all,

I just want to point out that one possible source of discrepancy between
I/sigma reported by a data processing program, and I/sigma reported by a
program that uses the relevant cctbx routine is the following: that
cctbx routine calculates the variance of merged data as max("internal
variance", "external variance") which is different from what the data
processing programs do (they calculate the "internal variance" - I hope
I didn't get it the wrong way round). SHELXC and SHELXL also calculate
the variance of the merged data like the data processing programs do.

I dislike this "feature" of cctbx but I do not know if phenix.table_one
actually uses this routine for this purpose.

thanks,

Kay

P.S. you can find the discussion over at the cctbx mailing list; see
e.g.
http://phenix-online.org/pipermail/cctbxbb/2012-September/000530.html
and other posts.

--
Kay Diederichs                http://strucbio.biologie.uni-konstanz.de
email: Kay.Diederichs at uni-konstanz.de    Tel +49 7531 88 4049 Fax 3183

This e-mail is digitally signed. If your e-mail client does not have the
necessary capabilities, just ignore the attached signature "smime.p7s".