[phenixbb] positive density around heavy metals

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 28 09:49:59 PDT 2012

Hi Subhani,

here is some text that I posted on a bb a while ago, so I'm copy-pasting
it with some minor updates:

These could be Fourier series truncation ripples or residual density
features that are typically more pronounced for heavier atoms at higher
resolutions.
Some relevant information to have a look:

1) Pages 19-21, 30, 32, 33 here:
http://www.phenix-online.org/presentations/latest/pavel_maps.pdf

2) CCP4 Newsletter
http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/newsletters/newsletter42/content.html
On the Fourier series truncation peaks at subatomic resolution
Anne Bochow, Alexandre Urzhumtsev

3) Central Ligand in the FeMo-Cofactor Nitrogenase MoFe-Protein at 1.16
Å Resolution: A.
Oliver Einsle, et al. Science, 1696 (2002) 297

4) Page 267 Figure 4:
On the possibility of the observation of valence electron density for
individual bonds in proteins in conventional difference maps
P. V. Afonine, V. Y. Lunin, N. Muzet and A. Urzhumtsev
Acta Cryst. (2004). D60, 260-274

Suggestions for refinement are:

1) make sure the atom is not pulled out of density by incorrectly
defined/applied restraints or their absence.
2) if site may be partially occupied then try occupancy refinement;
3) refine anisotropic ADP for this site;
4) try f' and f'' refinement if applicable;
5) try more refinement macro-cycles: achieving convergence of refinement
of occupancy/b-factor may take longer.
6) if none of 1)-5) helped and you are convinced that this is Fourier
truncation effect then leave it alone.

Pavel.