[phenixbb] geometry weight help

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon Jun 25 13:50:29 PDT 2012

Hi Wenchang,

nothing really to add to Nat's reply - this is exactly what I would suggest!

One small comment: if starting Rwork ~ Rfree the program will not
optimize weights for the first one or a few macro-cycles until Rwork and
Rfree naturally diverge up to a certain gap (default is 1% as I just
figured out looking at the code). In this case you just need to run more
than default 3 macro-cycles to achieve a meaningful result.

Now explaining what you are seeing:

- if you let phenix.refine to find and use weights automatically, then
the refinement target is

T = wxc * wxc_scale * Txray + wc * Trestraints

where wxc is determined from ratio of target gradients, wc = 1, and
wxc_scale is user-adjustable parameter by default set to something like
1 or 0.5.

- if you let phenix.refine to optimize weights automatically, then the
refinement target is

T = weight * Txray + wc * Trestraints

where weight is optimal weight found as described here:
"Improved target weight optimization in phenix.refine"
http://www.phenix-online.org/newsletter/

- finally, if you specify weights manually (as you attempted to do using
fix_wxc), then

T = fix_wxc * Txray + wc * Trestraints

which internally done by setting wxc=fix_wxc and wxc_scale=1.

Sorry for flood of cryptic technicalities, but you asked for that!

Pavel