[phenixbb] Estimation of ligand binding affinity by occupancy refinement

Dale Tronrud det102 at uoxray.uoregon.edu
Fri Apr 27 11:49:28 PDT 2012

   Pavel's test of the robustness of the resulting occupancy with respect to
its starting value provides only a lower bound for the uncertainty of that
parameter.  The goal of refinement is to find the most probable value for the
set of parameters.  If you imagine the probability distribution as a Gaussian,
the ability to repeatedly determine the location of the peak of the distribution
does not tell you much about its width.

   Compounding the problem is the correlation between the occupancies and B
factors of the atoms.  You can get very similar likelihoods when increasing
both parameters, but if you hold one fixed and vary the other the likelihood
changes very rapidly.

   On the other hand, I strongly suggest that you calculate the difference
in Ki or the difference in binding energy between a ligand that binds with
0.1 occupancy and one that binds with 0.9.  The entire range of occupancies
distinguishable by x-ray crystallography cover only a small range of Ki.
There is way less than one order of magnitude between the smallest occupancy
indistinguishable from zero and the largest occupancy indistinguishable from
one, and yet Ki's routinely vary by many orders of magnitude.  Only by the
most fantastic stroke of luck would the range of Ki for your inhibitors fall
into the tiny range measurable by x-ray diffraction.

Dale Tronrud