[phenixbb] Can the Update Waters routine ignore specified waters?

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Tue Apr 3 08:50:43 PDT 2012

Hi John,

are these waters agree with the density? All phenix.refine is using to
decide about whether to keep or remove a water is:
- density (mFo-DFc and 2mFo-DFc) peak height and shape;
- distance between the density peak and surrounding atoms.
The corresponding control parameters are exposed to users, so one can
make them softer or stricter.
If phenix.refine deletes a water that only means that one or a few
selection criteria are not fulfilled.

You can relax water filtering criteria at the risk of adding more
spurious waters. Or you let phenix.refine do what it does, but at the
very end add missing waters and do a round of refinement without water
update so your waters are kept.

I'm actually puzzled about this a bit. If you send me the PDB files
(before and after phenix.refine run, and tell which waters are missing)
then I will have a closer look. I also need the data file (so I can run
refinement myself). Please send files off-list, to my email.

Pavel