[phenixbb] Problem with R-free assignment

Jose Arcadio jose.farias at tuebingen.mpg.de
Fri Sep 2 03:00:11 PDT 2011

On 9/1/11 6:49 PM, Pavel Afonine wrote:
> Hi Jose,
>
> DANO and SIGDANO are not used in refinement.
>
> Resetting ADPs to an average value, and performing ~5 macro-cycles of
> refinement with SA and weights optimization typically should be
> sufficient. Make sure you are using the latest PHENIX version from
> nightly builds:
> http://www.phenix-online.org/download/nightly_builds.cgi
>
> Let me know if you have any questions.
>
> Pavel.
>
> On 9/1/11 9:25 AM, Jose Arcadio wrote:
>> Dear phenix.refine community:
>>
>> I am solving a protein structure using experimental phasing. In order
>> to do that I combined two derivative isomorphous datasets into a
>> double SAD experiment (to increase the individual weak anomalous
>> power from each dataset) using SHARP.My resolution is 3.2 A, and the
>> space group is C2221.
>>
>> I managed to build a model using the density-modified phases from
>> SHARP. Then I started refining against one of my derivative datasets
>> because my native dataset is non-isomorphous due to the heavy meal
>> soaking.Then I made two mistakes :(
>>
>> 1. I did not realize at the beginning of my refinement-building
>> rounds that I was refining against the dataset that showed the worst
>> statistics.
>>
>> 2. I was using a dataset with only FP and SIGFP but not DANO and
>> SIGDANO. I used the phases from my SHARP map (also the experimental
>> phase restraints)
>>
>> Now I did a new run of refinement using my best dataset (better
>> statistics) and also including the anomalous data FP, SIGFP, DANO and
>> SIGDANO. Obviously, my R-work and R-free got pretty much better.
>>
>> Nevertheless, the R-free was better than R-work at the beginning of
>> the run, at the end of the refinement R-free and R-work inverted as
>> usually (being R-free worst than R-work)  r_work = 0.2582  r_free =
>> 0.2888 . Certainly, there was a mistake with a new assignment of the
>> free set of reflections. Now I am aware that the set of free
>> reflections has to be the same all over the refining procedure.
>>
>> Here are the questions
>>
>> How can I be sure that my R-free is still a safe cross validation of
>> the correctness of my structure?
>>
>> Is it useful to perform a round of simulated annealing in order to
>> erase any wrong information in my model and start the refinement
>> rounds again?
>>
>> Do you have any suggestions?
>>
>> All the best
>>
>> Jose Farias

Thanks a for the help Pavel and Nat.

In order to reset ADPs to an average value, shall I use:  set_b_iso=30 ?

Could you suggest a good starting point for wxc_scale and wxu_scale for
my resolution (3.2 A). Or maybe I should estimate these values empirically?

I would also like to include the heavy metals in my structure, in this
case I guess it is important to have DANO and SIGDANO as you also suggested.

Best regards

Jose