[phenixbb] Scattering from riding hydrogens?

Damian Ekiert dcekiert at scripps.edu
Mon Nov 14 16:12:27 PST 2011

Pavel,

Thanks for your response.  This question was motivated by discussions of whether or not to deposit riding hydrogens in the PDB, so perhaps I can ask a more general question.

As I understand things, the positions of the riding hydrogens (from an input PDB file) would would be incorporated into the calculation of Fcalc (I guess automatically now and before when contribute_to_f_calc = True).  If this is correct, then removing riding hydrogens before deposition seems very problematic, as they were effectively used in the calculation of R/R-free, etc.  However, if the contribution of hydrogens is more abstract (e.g., the riding hydrogens are not used in the calculation, but the presence of hydrogens in the protein in the crystal are accounted for in some other way), leaving them out of the deposition is somewhat less of a problem (setting aside for a moment any other reason for depositing them, such as the difficulties in re-hydrogenating the protein later on, etc.).

So in the context of Phenix and Fcalc, do the positions of the riding hydrogens matter?  And if they don't, does this mean that when an input model has zero hydrogens, Phenix is still trying in some way to account for the unmodeled/invisible hydrogens that we know are in there?

Thanks,

Damian