[phenixbb] Cross Validation Reflection Set question

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Sun Nov 6 18:59:19 PST 2011

Hi,

> Open question,
>
> Is this 'step wise resolution increase' still necessary in the days of maximum likelihood refinement?

it not really open question. If ML target was that powerful you could do
rigid body refinement using all reflections without the need of cutting
off high resolution. It's not the case however, as we show in

Automatic multiple-zone rigid-body refinement with a large convergence
radius. P. V. Afonine, R. W. Grosse-Kunstleve, A. Urzhumtsev and P. D.
Adams J. Appl. Cryst. 42, 607-615 (2009).

STIR may be necessary for example in case of "very poor" starting model
and "very high" resolution data, although the whole procedure should
probably be more complex: for example, model parametrization should
change as more higher resolution data is added.