[phenixbb] strategy suggestion ???

Michael Thompson miket at chem.ucla.edu
Tue May 31 13:17:17 PDT 2011

I once used the following strategy to search for ligands when the apo structure had already been determined. I was using Refmac at the time, but I don't see why you couldn't do it with phenix.refine.

After you process your data, if your crystals with and without the ligands are isomorphous, then you don't necessarily need to do molecular replacement to get phases. After you process the data from your crystals with the ligands, you can take the mtz file and start refining with the pdb file for your apo structure. You can start with a rigid body refinement to account for any small shifts or rotations that may have taken place when you added the ligand. Then after that refine according to your protocol of choice.

The main place you can run into trouble is if you have a polar space group. If you do the rigid body refinement and get a horrible R-factor, the there's a good chance you have indexed the two data sets in opposite orientations. This can be corrected by reindexing, I think the phenix tool for this is xmanip but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck,

Mike