[phenixbb] Refining sucrose

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Thu May 26 00:07:16 PDT 2011

Hi,

in a nutshell, the problem with CIF files created by PRODRG is that
sometimes PRODRG assigns too small sigmas  (esds), which in turn means
that the corresponding terms in restraint targets become much larger
than the others (since they are proportional to 1/sigma**2), and this
results in distorting overall geometry during refinement.

So, if you do refinement using phenix.refine it is the best to use
phenix.ready_set to obtain cif files for your ligands, or if you get
them from elsewhere then make sure they are correct.

You can use phenix.reel to check your cif files - my recollection is
that it will highlight bad esds.

Pavel.