[phenixbb] Bulk solvent correction

Ina Lindemann lindema2 at staff.uni-marburg.de
Thu Mar 31 07:27:51 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am refining two crystal structures of the same protein wtih four
domains and 687 amino acids.

These are the last lines form my log-files after several model
building steps - protein altogether fits quite well into the density.
But I am confused about these logfiles:

1.Why is there such a big difference between R values with and without
bulk solvent correction and anisotropic scale?

Start R-work = 0.3765, R-free = 0.5498 (no bulk solvent and anisotropic scale)
Final R-work = 0.3733, R-free = 0.5509 (no bulk solvent and anisotropic scale)

Start R-work = 0.2356, R-free = 0.2962
Final R-work = 0.2250, R-free = 0.2939

2. (the other structure) Why does the R value without bulk solvent and
anisotropic scale decrease so much but with it remains stable?

Start R-work = 0.2182, R-free = 0.2856 (no bulk solvent and anisotropic scale)
Final R-work = 0.4054, R-free = 0.4223 (no bulk solvent and anisotropic scale)

Start R-work = 0.2157, R-free = 0.2827
Final R-work = 0.2147, R-free = 0.2816

I would be very pleased about any helpful comments.

Ina

Ina Lindemann
Philipps-Universität Marburg
Pharmazeutische Chemie