[phenixbb] rotamers

Kendall Nettles knettles at scripps.edu
Tue Mar 29 18:43:03 PDT 2011

We have been doing a lot of parallel refinements where we are checking out the new options in PHENIX refinement, and one of the things we have observed is that sometimes the sidechains with no clear electron density end up in the main chain density, and distort the model. There is no clear pattern as to which options lead to this phenotype, as different combinations give different results. Until we can sort out what is causing this, it seems clear to me that it is better to delete the side chains. If you want to leave a side chain with no clear electron density, you have to make sure each one is not distorting the model. So leaving the side chains with no clear electron density requires much work, with a benefit that is not clear to me.

Kendall Nettles