[phenixbb] Multiprocessors/parallel runs keywords

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Thu Mar 24 12:08:37 PDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Francis E Reyes
<Francis.Reyes at colorado.edu> wrote:
> Is it possible to incorporate (separate) OpenMP builds in future nightlies?

This may be difficult to support, since it is only possible with
relatively recent versions of GCC (or Intel's C++ compiler, which few
people will have installed).  It is effectively impossible on Mac,
since the versions of Xcode that we need to use have no OpenMP support
whatsoever, and even in XCode 3.2 or 4, the bundled GCC has a
(according to Ralf) broken implementation.  (You can build and run a
newer version of GCC with functional OpenMP on Mac, but we don't like
distributing Phenix binaries that depend on non-standard software
being already installed.)  I'm not sure what the situation on Linux
is, although it looks like Fedora 11 and Ubuntu 10.04 both have GCC
4.4.

> I'm a command line person so I would benefit from this.

If your lab is still hanging on to its G5 Macs, you'd benefit far more
from throwing those out and buying a multicore Intel/AMD system.

-Nat