[phenixbb] rotamers

Frank von Delft frank.vondelft at sgc.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 23 22:54:04 PDT 2011

Oh no!!  Please please please don't bring that hoary old canard of
building in side-chains - it's Very Bad Practice, we don't build missing
amino acids or ligands, do we, so why are sidechains different?  The
"most likely rotamer" is still the WRONG rotamer:  if it were right,
you'd see it.

CNS used to do this, but as far as I could tell it was an artefact
because CNS could not refine a residue if not all atoms were present, so
to truncate something you had to call it ALA.  That's obviously wrong,
and phenix fixed this, thank god, and good riddance.

Now it's to come back...?  *sob*

As for theoption (b):  that sounds like a very valid criterion for
placing a side-chain.  In fact, it's awesome - so why set occupancies to
zero?  Phenix already deals with validly modelled atoms very
effectively:  set occ=1 and relax the B-factor restraints.

(Sorry, you can tell I feel strongly... :)

phx.