[phenixbb] rotamers

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Wed Mar 23 14:39:54 PDT 2011

  Hi Ed,

you are asking the right question.

We discussed the issue of residue side chains partially or fully lacking
density at PHENIX developers meeting last week. This was brought up by
an industrial consortium user.

Some people tend to chop them off (which I do not not not like), some
let the refinement programs do what they want, and the programs stupidly
tends to stick these sidechains in whatever density is available around
(this is bad too).

I think we decided that I have to do something about it, probably the
following:

- if a side chain lacks the density and the full rotamer search does not
find any density, then a) set occupancies of affected atoms to zero, and
b) move the side chain to the highest probable rotameric state that
generates least clashes with surrounding atoms and may be still have
some good density fit (even though it is a bad density). I will work on
this. That's for sure.

Pavel.