[phenixbb] most appropriate map for ligand fitting/interaction withFMN

Schubert, Carsten [PRDUS] CSCHUBER at its.jnj.com
Sun Mar 13 01:57:31 PST 2011

Yuri,

a)I second Pavel's comments. Usually I look at 2fofc and fofc maps after
2 rounds of refinement. In the first round automated water placement
takes place, before the second round I'll delete a sphere of water from
the active site to get an unbiased and less cluttered view. The
underlying rationale is to 'squeeze' as much as possible out of the
maps/phases before placing a ligand. Some other people prefer maps after
refinement w/o waterplacement. As mentioned kicked maps are a great tool
to get you over the hump in case of some ambiguous cases, I use them on
a routine basis.

b) Tough to say w/o looking at the maps and molecules. Some things come
to mind:
   - how does the QC of your ligand look, is it pure?
   - how does your apo protein or the protein with the FMN compare to
the liganded structure?
   - counter ions in crystallization/purification/storage buffers?

HTH

Carsten

fitting/interaction