[phenixbb] Average maps (*not* NCS averaging)

Donnie Berkholz dberkholz at gentoo.org
Thu Mar 10 19:26:12 PST 2011

On 17:15 Thu 10 Mar     , Stephen Graham wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to average 2Fo-Fc maps from 2 (approximately) isomorphous
> data sets (one with ligand, one without) to see whether I get better
> density for some of the noisier bits of the structure.  I don't want
> to do any kind of solvent flattening, histogram matching, cyclical
> averaging, etc; I just want to sum the equivalent pixels and divide by
> 2.
>
> Is it possible to do this easily using any of the phenix tools?  It
> seems like all the required plumbing is there with get_cc_mtz_mtz or
> superpose_maps, but I can't find a phenix utility for averaging two
> superposed maps.

Well, Coot is distributed with phenix so I guess you could call it a
phenix tool. You can use tools in Extensions->Maps to first superpose
the maps (transform by LSQ fit), then average them.

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donald S. Berkholz, Ph.D.
Research Fellow
James R. Thompson lab, Physiology & Biomedical Engineering
Grazia Isaya lab, Pediatric & Adolescent Medicine
Medical Sciences 2-66
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
200 First Street SW
Rochester, MN 55905