[phenixbb] Average maps (*not* NCS averaging)

Tom Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Thu Mar 10 09:49:26 PST 2011

Hi Stephen,
I don't know of any phenix tools that will average two maps, though you are right that everything is there to do it quite easily.
-Tom

On Mar 10, 2011, at 10:15 AM, Stephen Graham wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to average 2Fo-Fc maps from 2 (approximately) isomorphous
> data sets (one with ligand, one without) to see whether I get better
> density for some of the noisier bits of the structure.  I don't want
> to do any kind of solvent flattening, histogram matching, cyclical
> averaging, etc; I just want to sum the equivalent pixels and divide by
> 2.
>
> Is it possible to do this easily using any of the phenix tools?  It
> seems like all the required plumbing is there with get_cc_mtz_mtz or
> superpose_maps, but I can't find a phenix utility for averaging two
> superposed maps.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen
>
> --
> Dr Stephen Graham
> 1851 Research Fellow
> Cambridge Institute for Medical Research
> Wellcome Trust/MRC Building
> Addenbrooke's Hospital, Hills Road
> Cambridge, CB2 0XY, UK
> Phone: +44 1223 762 638

Thomas C. Terwilliger
Mail Stop M888
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, NM 87545

Tel:  505-667-0072                 email: terwilliger at LANL.gov
Fax: 505-665-3024                 SOLVE web site: http://solve.lanl.gov
PHENIX web site: http:www.phenix-online.org
ISFI Integrated Center for Structure and Function Innovation web site: http://techcenter.mbi.ucla.edu
TB Structural Genomics Consortium web site: http://www.doe-mbi.ucla.edu/TB