[phenixbb] calculate Fc for the whole unit cell from a Fc of a single symmetric unit.

Dale Tronrud det102 at uoxray.uoregon.edu
Mon Jul 11 16:00:40 PDT 2011

On 07/11/11 15:35, Edward A. Berry wrote:
> It seems to me there are two things that could be meant by "expand to P1"
>
> One is when data has been reduced to the Reciprocal Space
> asymmetric unit (or otherwise one asymmetric unit of a
> symmetric dataset has been obtained) and you want to expand
> it to P1 by using symmetry to generate all the
> symmetry -equivalent reflections.
>
> The other is where a full P1 dataset has been calculated from just
> one asymmetric unit of the crystal (and hence does not exhibit the
> crystallographic symmetry) and you want to generate the transform
> of the entire crystal. (I think this is how all the space-group -
> specific fft programs used to work before computers got so fast it
> was less bother to just do everything in P1 with the whole cell)
> Presumably this involves applying the real space symmetry
> operators to get n rotated (or phase-shifted for translational
> symmetry) P1 datasets and adding them vectorially.

   If I recall, that is how XPLOR calculated structure factors but
that is not how a Ten Eyck space group specific FFT works.  First
it expands the atoms into the largest subgroup composed only of
symmetry elements that can be optimized (e.g. three-folds are
out).  Then the electron density of the asymmetric unit of that
space group is calculated.  Finally the structure factors are
calculated by a combination of line group optimized 1-D FFTs and
clever rearrangements that move data from useless positions in
memory to places where the final 1-D FFTs can use them.

   Both the calculation of the map (the slowest step) and the
FFT itself are sped up by a factor of the number of usable
symmetry operators.  In addition the amount of RAM required was
greatly reduced.  Back in the day the latter was often more
important because memory was so limited.

Dale Tronrud