[phenixbb] Validation question: R-factor (all) and # of unique reflections (all)

Edward A. Berry BerryE at upstate.edu
Tue Jul 5 13:18:03 PDT 2011

In the denominator of the R-factor equation,  Sum(|Fobs|) could be
replaced by Nref*<Fobs>.  Then if <Fobs> is the same for free and
working reflections, which it should be to a good approximation,
it could easily be shown that the overall R factor is the average
of the free and working R-factor, weighted by the number of reflections
in each. Thus if 5% of reflections ar free,

Rall = .05*Rfree + .95*Rwork

Although the meaning of this is quite different from the Rall
you would get by doing a final refinement against all reflections.