[phenixbb] Refinement Problem

Ed Pozharski epozh001 at umaryland.edu
Thu Jan 13 06:51:35 PST 2011

Aside from trying twinned refinement, consider reprocessing your
original data in a lower symmetry space group.  Sometimes at relatively
low resolution, say, P21 has beta~90 and NCS closely resembling the
higher symmetry operators.  Occasionally, data can be successfully
processed and molecular replacement "works" but R-values are stuck and
parts of the map are messy.  First time I encountered this the map
looked well for the protein core but half of the loops were missing.

The most radical thing to do is to try P1 and if R-values do not drop
and density is not improved, then (unfortunately) you may have other
issues (e.g. twinning).

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 11:47 +0000, Ms Chiung-Wen Chang wrote:
> hi
> i have similar issue as well
> i had ran the Xtrige and yep it was suspected as twinning dataset
> i can not define my space group so  i ran bounch of space groups in the phaser
> i got solution for p22121
> every time i ran autobuild it failed ( my resolution is around 2.5)
> i have not tried the nightly-build yet -- but i will
> i open the map and model
> some part of model can fit nicely but some part are messy
> what sould i do ?
> im thinking to do map modification .... will it work ? i know the tool on ccp4 but i have not got it right ... always failed.....
> any suggestion ??
> thanks
>
> wenwen

Edwin Pozharski, PhD, Assistant Professor
University of Maryland, Baltimore
When the Way is forgotten duty and justice appear;
Then knowledge and wisdom are born along with hypocrisy.
When harmonious relationships dissolve then respect and devotion arise;
When a nation falls to chaos then loyalty and patriotism are born.