[phenixbb] Filtering ordered solvent molecules based on secondary map

Andrew T. Torelli att29 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 5 14:45:54 PST 2011

Pavel,

                Thanks for the helpful comments.  Do both phenix.model_vs_data and phenix.real_space_correlation produce the same values for CC that phenix.refine uses to keep/remove waters when the ordered solvent routine is used?

                Also, are the default 2mFo-DFc and mFo-DFc map coefficients output by phenix.refine (in the "_maps_coeffs.mtz" file) the same coefficients used by phenix.refine during the ordered solvent checking?  Specifically, does phenix.refine use "filled" maps for ordered solvent checking?

                If you haven't guessed, I am thinking of a way to intelligently pick values for the ordered solvent parameters such as primary_map_cutoff, poor_cc_threshold and poor_map_threshold. My idea is to first run a quick round of refinement with generous ordered solvent parameters  so that I get a model that is somewhat overpopulated with automatically-picked waters.  Then I can manually inspect the mFobs-DFmodel and 2mFobs-DFmodel maps (i.e. primary and secondary maps) and the CC values in order to decide where to select appropriate cutoffs to limit addition of spurious waters for a given model/dataset, which will differ based on map quality, resolution, etc.  So obviously I want to calculate CC values and maps in the same way phenix.refine would to judge waters so that I can "see what phenix sees" in this regard.

Thanks for your help (and I hope you made it to London...haha),
-Andy