[phenixbb] Question about Adding Hydrogens

Jeff Headd jjheadd at lbl.gov
Mon Feb 28 12:37:03 PST 2011

Hi Louis,

Hydrogen atoms in Phenix are added using the Reduce program, and one
of the real strengths of Reduce is that it determines H-atom positions
by optimizing the local H-bond network. By only adding hydrogens to
one residue, this step would be lost.

Is there a reason that you'd like to add H atoms to just one residue?

You can find out more about Reduce here:

http://kinemage.biochem.duke.edu/software/reduce.php

Thanks,
Jeff