[phenixbb] Graduate Student Summer Internship

Soisson, Stephen M stephen_soisson at merck.com
Wed Feb 9 11:11:01 PST 2011

Hi Everyone,

Merck Research Laboratories has an opening for a summer intern in the
Structural Chemistry (X-ray crystallography) groups located in either
Kenilworth, NJ or West Point, PA.  The idea is to have someone
comfortable with programming and mathematics to explore some
computational ideas that can take advantage of the large parallel
computing cluster at Merck (> 3000 cores).  I am pasting the
advertisement below - please note that the deadline is rapidly
approaching.  Interested applicants must apply through the link provided
below.  Please note that an advanced undergraduate with the appropriate
cross-disciplinary skill set would also be considered for this position.

Thanks-

Steve

Stephen M. Soisson, Ph.D.
Structural Chemistry Site Lead, WP

Merck Research Laboratories
770 Sumneytown Pike, WP14-1101
West Point, PA  19486
Phone:	(215) 652-6185
Fax:	(215) 652-9051
stephen_soisson at merck.com

Job Description

Graduate Structural Chemistry Internship 2011:CHE002969

Description
Merck is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of
prescription medicines, vaccines and consumer health products, as well
as animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of
healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future
for all of us.

Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination,
skill, diversity and teamwork of people like you. To this end, we strive
to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork.
As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate
with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding
your career.

The X-ray Crystallography group of the Global Structural Chemistry
Department within Merck Research Laboratories is seeking graduate
interns for their summer internship program.

The intern will be embedded in the Structural Chemistry/X-ray
Crystallography group and will conduct research on a project relevant to
drug discovery. The intern will also attend group meetings to gain a
wider perspective of the role of structural chemistry within the
discovery process in the pharmaceutical industry. The Global Structural
Chemistry Department is an industry-leading research group with world
class laboratory, synchrotron, and computational facilities.

A suitable candidate has a science background with interest in x-ray
crystallography and drug discovery. Not required, but a plus, would be
experience in one or more of the areas of protein crystallization, X-ray
diffraction theory and x-ray crystallography. Preference will be given
to candidates having a strong math and/or physical science background
with expertise in computers and computer programming.

We are seeking graduate student with strong academic performance,
communication skills, teamwork, and the ability to work in a
multi-functional environment.

This internship is offered at either of our research facilities in
Kenilworth, NJ or West Point, PA. It is a paid 10-12 week internship
targeted to start in June 2011. A weekly stipend will be provided.
Housing and transportation to and from work are available for those
interns meeting the housing distance guideline.

**Please note when applying for this position, the candidate MUST upload
a cover letter or a personal statement letter and a copy of your
unofficial transcript along with your resume.

Qualifications
*	Candidate is currently pursuing a graduate degree in a relevant
field (biochemistry, biophysics, applied math, computer science, etc.).

*	Science background with an interest in drug discovery

*	Must have experience in x-ray crystallography and knowledge of
programming tools such as Python, Perl or C.

*	Applicants must be currently enrolled in an academic program.

*	Applicants must be available for full-time employment for 10 -
12 weeks during the months of June - August 2011.

To be considered for this position, please visit our career site at
www.merck.com/careers to create a profile and submit your resume for
requisition #CHE002969.

Merck is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V - proudly embracing
diversity in all of its manifestations.
Primary Location:US-NJ-Kenilworth
Job Type:Intern Employee Status:Regular
Number of Openings:1

stephen_soisson at merck.com
New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates Direct contact information
for affiliates is available at
for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are
your system.