[phenixbb] How to locate and refine a ligand using anomalousscattering

Schubert, Carsten [PRDUS] CSCHUBER at its.jnj.com
Wed Feb 9 05:09:36 PST 2011

Just a quick note from somebody who does this for a living....

-If the compound in question retains its bromine it will practically
scream at you when you look at the fofc maps. No need for elaborate
anomalous difference maps, unless you like to go through the motions,
which is commendable.

-Beware that if the part of the compound were the bromine is bound is
dangling, i.e. not well ordered, you will lose the anomalous signal, so
use common sense to decide if the compound is bound or not.

-Always good to collect an intrinsic control to make sure that you have
the procedure under control or experiment with a high redundancy (>10x)
lysozyme dataset collected at home to get comfortable with the
procedure. The sulfurs in the lysozyme dataset light up in an anomalous
map, when the collection was done right.

-I usually only use anomalous maps in the context of sulfur containing
compounds, since it allows me to determine the orientation of thiazole
rings and such. Everything with more electrons is usually easily
detected in the fofc maps.

-Make sure you collect a high redundancy dataset (> x6) on or a bit
beyond the Br edge. Don't overkill it, radiation damage is you enemy.

Good luck.

Carsten