[phenixbb] How to locate and refine a ligand using anomalous scattering

Christian Roth christian.roth at bbz.uni-leipzig.de
Tue Feb 8 13:11:09 PST 2011

Hi Jason,

I am not an expert, but in my opinion it is enough to collect 1 dataset at the
peak wavelength for bromide. Should be anomalous complete for sure. Process it
without merging Friedel pairs. Solve the structure via molecular replacement
with your known protein structure.
Next step ist to create a map using the anomalous differences in your mtz with
the phases from your mtz after refinement.
Now you should see a peak in the density for your Bromine, if ligand is there.
Than you have the position of your ligand There should be hopfully density
from you normal maps. Put your ligand in it. The bromine dictates the
orientation. Put this with the generated library file(phenix.elbow) in phenix
and refine it.

I think this should work.

Good Luck and all the best.

Christian

P.S. Despite the fact that you did cocrystallisation, the ligand might not be
there, or even at a position which is not the right one. Unfortunately I had
already such a case.