[phenixbb] pseudo-merohedral twinning

Jon Schuermann schuerjp at anl.gov
Tue Dec 6 15:17:56 PST 2011

Tongqing,

As for the twinning... 2% is nothing and within error of saying no
twinning. What twin test gave you the 2% twin fraction?

What was the Rsym for the data processed in P222? How many molecules do
you have in the AU? What is the sequence identity of your search model
to your protein? Did you look at the density to see if there are missing
molecules you have not accounted for? Did you try MR in the other 7
possible SG/permutations in primitive orthorhombic?

I would ignore the 'twinning' and move forward since that is probably
not your problem. If you have checked all the other SG/permutations in
orthorhombic and you have tried to refine but saw nothing out of the
ordinary in the maps, then you could reprocess in P2 and check all the
possible permutations (using Pointless) to see if one gives you a lower
Rsym. In that case you could have twinning and/or NCS issues, but I
wouldn't jump into that until you have exhausted all your options
orthorhombic.

Jon Schuermann

--
Jonathan P. Schuermann, Ph. D.