[phenixbb] changing project directory

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Tue Aug 16 11:52:03 PDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Jens Kaiser <kaiser at caltech.edu> wrote:
>  I have project data on external hard drives. As I use several
> different file systems, and mount the drives in random order, I cannot
> rely on the device being mounted in the same mount point. In order to
> keep paths consistent, I link the project directories into my home. This
> used to work fine. I recently created a project, and phenix seemed to
> have used the real path instead of the link-path (That's not the
> problem, yet).

Sorry about this - unfortunately, it is a limitation that is unlikely
to go away any time soon.  (Converting to the absolute path is
necessary in cases where a user types in a file name instead of using
the browse button/dialog.)  I will investigate whether there is an
easy solution to this, but it's probably going to be several weeks
before I have time to do anything.

Are you using a Mac or Linux?  There are ways to set the mount point
so it won't change, which I suspect will prove easier in the long run
than hacking the Phenix project databases.

> I tried to manually edit ~/.phenix/project_db.phil, but
> it still tries to write in a non-existing directory. A naive 'grep -R
> "disk-1" ~/.phenix' did not reveal any obvious file either.
>  Where can I change the directory associated with a project
> {per,con}sistently?

You need to edit <project_dir>/.phenix/project.phil too.  However, at
present there are probably going to be problems with restoring old
jobs when the drives move around - absolute paths are used in many
places, and not all of these are easily fixable.

-Nat