[phenixbb] Sulfate ion on 2-fold axis

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Sat Apr 30 22:50:18 PDT 2011

Hi,

occupancy refinement in phenix.refine does not use information about
special positions. So if it sees an atom (or groups of atoms) having
partial occupancy it will refine them to be any number between 0 and 1.
This is in my to-do list to fix one day.

Currently, you need to turn off the occupancy refinement for these atoms
manually using "occupancies.remove_selection".

However, if the input occupancy is set to 1 then internally
phenix.refine will do the right thing with respect to special position
(it will apply the multiplicity factor), and it will not refine it. The
downside of doing it this way is that this is not what PDB expects.

Pavel.