[phenixbb] difficulties with the refinement of a Cadmium containing pdb file

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Thu Apr 7 09:28:35 PDT 2011

Hi Fred,

Cd ions should create no problem for phenix.refine and you don't need to
run any additional program... Make sure it is defined in your PDB file
like this:

HETATM  711 ZN    ZN A1400      -1.928 -11.394 -27.827  1.00
17.21          ZN2+
                                                                               ^^
                                                              Put the
charge here

Charge is optional, but note: phenix.refine does not infer the charge
from the atom name.
It has to appear in the PDB charge columns 79-80 as shown above.
To make sure it is recognized correctly, look in phenix.refine log file
- in the above example you would see something like this:

   Number of scattering types: 6
     Type  Number    sf(0)
      Zn2+     2     28.00
      S       13     16.00
      Na       2     11.00
      O      240      8.00
      N      113      7.00
      C      442      6.00
     sf(0) = scattering factor at diffraction angle 0.

Pavel.