[phenixbb] How to fix c-beta deviation?

Jeff Headd jjheadd at lbl.gov
Wed Apr 6 07:50:26 PDT 2011

Hi Jason,

C-beta deviations are often coupled with rotamer outliers, or even an
incorrect rotamer. One technique that Paul Emsley showed me for
correcting C-beta deviations in Coot is to mutate the offending
residue to ALA, then regularize and real-space refine the region
(including 2-3 residues on either side). This will hopefully allow for
the mainchain to find a more suitable position, without a misplaced
sidechain trapping it in a false minima. After that, you can mutate
the residue back to what it should be, and look for the best rotamer
given the density and the new mainchain orientation.

Jeff