[phenixbb] How to fix c-beta deviation?

Robert Immormino immormino at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 07:20:24 PDT 2011

Jason,

While phenix.refine is an incredible powerful tool for structure
refinement, as Nat said earlier some re-building may be required.
Without re-building addition of ramachandran restraints may only mask
problems rather than fix them.  Fortunately, Cbeta deviations are
quite sensitive and as far as I know are truly independent structure
validation measures see:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12557186

quoting from the abstract:
Cbeta deviation is sensitive to incompatibilities between sidechain
and backbone caused by misfit conformations or inappropriate
refinement restraints.

Good Luck,
-bob