[phenixbb] latest 64-bit command line build for Mac OSX 10.6.7?

Ben Eisenbraun bene at hkl.hms.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 4 11:10:39 PDT 2011

Hi Nat,

> 1) Make the 'mac-intel-osx-x86_64' platform dependent on the 64-bit
> kernel, so everyone who needs the 64-bit build has to change kernel
> version
> or
> 2) Keep the current behavior, and people running Snow Leopard on
> first-generation Intel Macs will need to use the 32-bit binary
> installer.
>
> Neither is ideal; the latter has additional problems for SBGrid, due
> to the way we 'alias' the architecture when the 32-bit installer is
> used.  Ben, did you decide what to do about CNS?

For the time being, we're just checking for 32-bit only CPUs and then
forcing them to use an older version of CNS.  I tried building a 32-bit CNS
and lipo'ing the 32 and 64-bit binaries into a two-way fat binary, but the
default CNS optimizations seem to cause the 32-bit version to blow up.
This might also be due to me using the latest version of the Intel
compiler.

You should be able to use the hw.optional.x86_64 sysctl to tweak the
phenix_env scripts to allow for a dual branch 32/64 bit installation in the
same directory, but it seems like you're not yet recommending the 64-bit
PHENIX on OS X Intel for general consumption.  You could also do something
hackish like default to 32-bit but read $1 on the "source phenix_env"
command line to enable the 64-bit version.

Between the wxPython issues and the fact that about 1/3rd of our OS X users
are still on 10.5, unless I get a specific request for the 64-bit version,
I probably will not install it just yet.  (That's the cue for emails from
the SBGrid users requesting a 64-bit installation...  :-)

-ben

--
| SBGrid Consortium                          | http://sbgrid.org       |
| Harvard Medical School                     | http://hms.harvard.edu  |