[phenixbb] latest 64-bit command line build for Mac OSX 10.6.7?

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Sun Apr 3 17:45:49 PDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Ben Eisenbraun <bene at hkl.hms.harvard.edu> wrote:
>> (PS. the choice of kernel is irrelevant - 10.6 will always be detected
>> as x86_64, and the 64-bit build should work with either kernel.)
>
> Unless you are running on one of the very first Intel Macs using an Intel
> Core Duo CPU, which is 32-bit only.
>
> This is a minority population, but since people are reluctant to
> decomission Macs, we have already had several tickets on. e.g. 64-bit only
> CNS.

Oh dear.  Well, they're definitely going to have problems with Phenix
as it stands right now.  Could you please check with one of these
users and find out what the output of "uname -a" is?  I believe there
is a smarter way to identify 64-bit systems than what I'm doing now
(basically, just looking at the OS version), but I need to make sure
it won't result in false positives.

A more general issue with 32-bit vs. 64-bit Mac (especially relevant
to SBGrid): currently, if you install either the 32-bit
(mac-intel-osx) or 64-bit (mac-intel-osx-x86_64) installer on Snow
Leopard, the binary build directory will be
$PHENIX/build/mac-intel-osx-x86_64.  So they can't co-exist in the
same location, which is potentially a problem for GUI users since
wxPython 2.9 still has a few serious bugs, as well as some
incompatibilities which we haven't dealt with yet.  (There isn't
anything that I'm aware of that is likely to cause crashes, but some
features don't behave properly, such as anything using OpenGL.)  I
have no bright ideas for this, other than tracking down and fixing the
problems; given the number of memory overflow errors I've been
receiving lately in bug reports, the 64-bit builds are pretty
essential.

Further information here: https://www.phenix-online.org/platforms/mac_notes.html

thanks,
Nat