[phenixbb] latest 64-bit command line build for Mac OSX 10.6.7?

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Sun Apr 3 14:26:02 PDT 2011

On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Joseph Noel <noel at salk.edu> wrote:
> I was trying to install the latest nightly build but get error (shown after
> my salutation) when using the recommended procedure:
> ./install --prefix=/Applications/
> Previously, I always installed from source so I could run the 64-bit version
> on Mac since I have some structures that require as much memory as possible.
> Should I just go back to that? It does take about an hour to install on my
> laptop. I assume this latest 64-bit option would significantly reduce the
> time for installation since I wouldn't be compiling from the source.

There were several bugs in the install script - the convoluted
workaround for using the 32-bit binary installer on Snow Leopard was
causing problems for the 64-bit binary installer.  I've patched the
installer to fix the problem, and a new version is now posted online.
It may have the side effect of breaking the forwards compatibility of
the 32-bit build, but I will test and fix this tomorrow.  (This is the
first time the 64-bit build has actually run; Apple's habit of
overengineering seemingly simple things like Unix user accounts made
it surprisingly difficult to get our automation working.)

-Nat

(PS. the choice of kernel is irrelevant - 10.6 will always be detected
as x86_64, and the 64-bit build should work with either kernel.)