[phenixbb] Riding H

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Fri Oct 29 15:56:44 PDT 2010

  Jianghai,

the "fundamental" problem is that phenix.refine and Molprobity use
different definitions for X-H distances.

phenix.refine uses CCP4 Monomer Library as a source of geometry
restraints, and Monomer Library uses "shorter" (X-ray) distances for X-H
(but not for all entries, see below).

phenix.reduce and Molprobity both use "longer" X-H distances.

Unfortunately this is not the end of inconsistencies since the Monomer
Library uses "shorter" X-H distances for amino-acids and "longer" X-H
distances for everything else (as far as I know).

For refinement against X-ray data it is good to use "shorter" distances
(as SHELXL does), and for refinement against neutron data it is good to
use "longer" ones. What's good for validation (Molprobity, etc) - I do
not know. But what I do know for sure is that things should be
consistent, at least within one program (PHENIX). Currently this is not
the case, sorry. It is a part of our plans to address this problem.

All the best!
Pavel.