[phenixbb] Autobuild error - bash/dash/sh

Stephen Graham scg34 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 26 03:15:46 PDT 2010

Hi there,

Apologies if this has been reported before, but the autobuild job I
tried to run last night failed after a short while...

The job was started from the command line using:

phenix.autobuild data=../mydata_free.mtz seq_file=../protein.fasta
map_file=../ccp4i/protein_phaser.1_parrot2.mtz
input_map_labels='parrot.F_phi.F parrot.F_phi.phi None'

And it got to the point where it was trying to submit the three jobs
before it died as follows:

Splitting work into 3 jobs and running with 1 processors using sh
background=False in
/home/stepheng/Projects/my_protein/autobuild/AutoBuild_run_3_/TEMP0

Starting job 1...Log will be:
/home/stepheng/Projects/my_protein/autobuild/AutoBuild_run_3_/TEMP0/RUN_FILE_1.log
*************ERROR ENDING *******************

Failed to carry out AutoBuild_build_cycle:

child process stderr output:
  command: 'sh
/home/stepheng/Projects/my_protein/autobuild/AutoBuild_run_3_/TEMP0/RUN_FILE_1'
  /home/stepheng/Projects/my_protein/autobuild/AutoBuild_run_3_/TEMP0/RUN_FILE_1.sh:
5: Syntax error: Bad fd number

*************ERROR ENDING *******************

I think the problem might be that the RUN_FILE_1.sh script seems to
use a bash command/redirection that is not implemented in plain old
'sh' spec, and thus not supported by dash (the lean version of sh that
ships with ubuntu)?  If I change the #! line of RUN_FILE_1.sh to call
/bin/bash rather than /bin/sh the script seems to run to completion...

Is there any easy way to change the script template to use /bin/bash
or remove the offending command?  I'm running phenix dev-550 on an x86
ubuntu 10.10 machine.

Thanks,

Stephen

P.S.  The reason I'm trying to run autobuild from the command line
rather from the GUI is that the GUI seems to crash every time I give
autobuild a sequence file in either the FASTA or PIR format.  Is there
another format I should be using?

--
Dr Stephen Graham
1851 Research Fellow