[phenixbb] moving user home directories

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Tue Nov 2 11:47:41 PDT 2010

On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 11:31 AM, Ben Eisenbraun
<bene at hkl.hms.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Our local sysadmins moved everyone's home directory from /nfs/home/foo to
> /nfs/userdocs/home/foo, and it appears to have broken most people's PHENIX
> projects.

Uh-oh.  (Doesn't this break CCP4i too?  I took a look at my old grad
school data and it looks like everything is using absolute paths there
too - although perhaps since they're text files, it's easier to
fix...)

> Is there a straightforward way to fix this?  Poking around in the
> ~/.phenix/project_db.pkl files, I can see the old paths, but I'm not
> exactly sure how to rewrite.  My brute force attempt with sed was
> unsuccssful.

They're technically binary files (Python pickle format), so I doubt
sed will do the job.  I can write you a script to rewrite paths, but
it's not a trivial problem.  Migrating projects has been on the to-do
list for a while and I'm close to getting it working, but I hadn't
planned on anyone moving entire home directories like this.  I don't
suppose you can beg the sysadmins to add a symlink named /nfs/home?

-Nat