[phenixbb] questions about ncs copy in autobuild

Thomas C. Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Wed Jul 21 14:08:26 PDT 2010

Hi Jason,

I am guessing that your starting model is an MR solution and you have data
that is not very high-resolution or the MR solution is not that close to
the structure that you are trying to solve.  In this case these results
would indicate that autobuild has failed to create a useful map of your
structure and then it is unable to build a useful model, unable to
identify sequence register, resulting in a single set of chains not
assigned to sequence (and probably mostly incorrect).

So a key question is: if you take your starting model and simply calculate
an R factor (with or without refinement), is this R much less than 0.5?
If not, this will be very difficult to rebuild, particularly if the
resolution is not high.

An alternative question: the starting map in autobuild
(cycle_best_2.mtz)...does it look like your starting model? Does it look
like a protein?  If not....this will be difficult.

Let me know if that doesn't help!
All the best,
Tom T