[phenixbb] Whic mtz file to use and parameters for phenix.refine (GUI) to set?

Vellieux Frederic Frederic.Vellieux at ibs.fr
Mon Jul 19 05:13:03 PDT 2010

Hi Hermella,

The first thing (I think) you should do is to check your molecular
replacement solution on the graphics station (use whichever software you
feel most comfortable with): check the packing in particular, are there
crystal-forming contacts that explain the crystal - if you have regions
of void then it is likely that your solution is not a solution (you may
have missing molecules for example). And you may also wish to model into
the electron density coming out of Phaser (such as mutating residues, if
the quality of the electron density map allows you to do that).

For this, you use the mtz file coming out of phaser, that contains the
electron density map coefficients (SigmaA).

Also, if your search model is made up of several subunits, you will
probably want to carry our rigid-body refinement (of the subunits
independently) before carrying out any model building.

For refinement, I suggest that you use the initial mtz file (containing
FP, SIGFP, FREERFLAG), unless you want to have (after X refinement
rounds) a single mtz file that contains all the history of the structure
determination work. But as long as the input mtz file (for refinement)
contains the FP, SIGFP, FREERFLAG columns UNMODIFIED then it's a
question of taste. I keep everything in separate directories myself, I'm
used to that...

Fred.