[phenixbb] Run locally/detached

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Mon Jul 12 10:10:21 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 7:34 AM, Thomas C. Terwilliger <terwilliger at lanl.gov
> wrote:

> Nat can expand on this, but "locally" is how you usually want to run. Your
> job is part of the GUI and is fully controlled by the GUI.  If you use
> "locally" then if you quit the GUI your job quits too.  If you say
> "detached" then if you quit the GUI then your job keeps running.

Correct.  The disadvantage to "detached" (and queued jobs, in the nightlies)
is that the GUI is slower to update and some callbacks are disabled - right
now this is mainly the progress bars in Phaser and the statistics-by-cycle
plots in phenix.refine, but the latter are now there in the nightly builds.
 If we ever make programs more interactive in the GUI, this may also be
difficult to run in "detached" mode, but that's a long way off.

I will update the documentation to explain the difference - I'm sorry the
labels aren't clearer, but I couldn't think of anything else that would make
sense to non-programmers.

-Nat