[phenixbb] weaker density in maps

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Sat Feb 27 10:05:04 PST 2010

Hi David,

it's hard to say without looking at concrete example. phenix.refine
creates maps as good as it can - I mean you don't need to "toggle
something on" to get even better map.

phenix.refine can output maps either as Fourier map coefficients that
you can see then as actual map in Coot (for example) or it can output
X-plor formatted maps (which you can see in PyMol, for example). I'm not
sure if an additional conversion step (into dsn6) may alter something.

Do you have an example in which:

- you take a model and data and compute X-plor formatted map in CNS,
- then you take the exact same data and model and compute the same map
in phenix.refine,
- you look at both maps in PyMol and see the "weak features" in CNS map
and do not see these "weak features" in phenix.refine map ?

If you have such an example and can send it to me then I would have
something to investigate. Otherwise I can only shake the air with my
guesses/speculations.

Also, you may consider looking at both maps: missing-Fobs-filled and
regular ones. phenix.refine create both types:
http://www.phenix-online.org/pipermail/phenixbb/2009-August/002315.html

Pavel.