[phenixbb] omit map with twinning?

Kelly Daughtry kddaught at bu.edu
Thu Feb 18 09:55:19 PST 2010

Thanks everyone for the fast responses!

Ok, so I have tried all of the suggestions.

1) Generate a refinement..eff file which includes the twin law.

When I run from the gui, I do not believe that phenix is actually
including the twin law. It is not shown as being read in the log file
(but the log file show that the refinement.eff was an input). And the
maps look the same as without the twin law. So, either I am doing
something wrong, or it is not reading the twin law.

>From the command line:
phenix.autobuild twin_law="-k,-h,-l" data.mtz model.pdb omit.eff
(generated from omit_map autobuild.eff)

ERROR:
AssertionError: Sorry, unknown file or keyword: twin_law=-k -h -l
Possibilities... (use 'phenix.autobuild --help all' to get full help):
  rebuild_in_place.rebuild_chain_list=-k -h -l
  omit.omit_chain_list=-k -h -l
  model_building.consider_main_chain_list=-k -h -l

So it seems it doesn't know where to include the twin law.

Including this in autobuild.eff:

  twinning {
    twin_law = -h,k,-l
    }
(I also tried variations on location of lines and within the
refinement parameters and such)

AssertionError:

Sorry, unrecognized variable:  twin_law = -h,k,-l

NOTE: this could just be in the wrong scope. Here is the
scope found: autobuild.twinning.twin_law (input line 28)

I looked into the autobuild log file created when I ran the omit_map
without including a twin law, and I do not see any place where that is
taken into account.

2) Omiting ligand and generating difference map (either in
phenix.refine or in create maps utility)
The maps are great, but I really want a SA omit map.

As Nathaniel Echols pointed out, it seems like bad practice.
I am unsure how the entire community feels on the issue, but I have
been taught that a SA omit map gives you validation of your model
(especially in the case of a lignad).

So, what else can I try? Or what am I doing wrong?

Kelly
Kelly Daughtry
PhD Candidate
Department of Physiology and Biophysics