[phenixbb] Problem with low figure of merit

sankaranarayanan srinivasan texshan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 08:49:03 PDT 2010

Hi all,
I am new to structure solving. I have a 2.9A dataset for a Seleno crystal of
which i am trying to use Autosol to build an initial map. I used the
settings for a thorough solution, instead of quick. All the other
parameters were set to default settings.
The solution that i got from autosol, gave me the following result
Solution # 1  BAYES-CC: 23.7 +/- 30.9 Dataset #1   FOM: 0.27
Residues built: 238
  Side-chains built: 139
  Chains: 15
  Overall model-map correlation: 0.65
  R/R-free: 0.38/0.42.
Score type:       SKEW    CORR_RMS
Raw scores:        0.02      0.77
100x EST OF CC:   16.86     32.11
The density modification map matches, quite well with many of my side chains
fitted.

My question here is , IS THERE A WAY I CAN IMPROVE THE Figure Of Merit , BY
CHANGING ANY PARAMETERS IN PHENIX-AUTOSOL.
I HAVE A HIGH SOLVENT CONTENT IN MY CRYSTAL AND I DID NOT INPUT THAT IN MY
INITIAL PARAMETERS. DOES PHENIX AUTOSOL CONSIDER SOLVENT FLATTENING FOR SUCH
CRYSTALS?

I would appreciate someone's help in this regard

Thanks

Shankar