[phenixbb] Phaser SAD module - resolution question

Peter Grey petgxray at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 01:55:52 PDT 2010

Dear Phenix community,

I am using Phaser SAD module with a poor MR model to locate the initial
heavy-atom sub-structure.
I have a 3A dataset but the anomalous signal is weak at the higher
resolution shells.
I would like to ask for your advice regarding the resolution I should use in
Phaser.
I thought that for the sake of just locating the sites I should use
relatively low resolution (let's say 3.5 or even 4A) and then run Phaser a
second time.
In this second run I would use the highest-resolution and let Phaser only
refine the sites (located in the first run) during one cycle and calculate
the combined phases.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and advice,

Peter