[phenixbb] difference in estimated error between phenix and refmac

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Thu Aug 12 11:49:20 PDT 2010

  Hi Ling,

I have no idea what the error estimate based on R means. In
phenix.refine the ML based coordinate error estimate is done as
described in formula #19 in

/Acta Cryst./ (2002). A*58*, 270-282

with the ML parameters determined as described here:

Acta Cryst. (1995). A51, 880-887.
and
J. Appl. Cryst. (1996). 29, 741-744.

This number is sensitive to many (irrelevant) thins such as bulk-solvent
model, etc.. So I wouldn't take it too literally. Model to map fit, map
quality, local and global, geometry stats and Rfactors are all much more
useful model quality characteristics than this number.

Pavel.