[phenixbb] Random seeds?

Joseph Noel noel at salk.edu
Tue Aug 10 14:34:47 PDT 2010

Hi All,

Okay, a fairly mundane question concerning random seeds in Phenix. Obviously they are random but any restrictions on how many digits phenix will accept? Any other restrictions? Are they (it) only used for coordinate refinement or do the random seeds get used for other things as well? I know about hydrogen building but wandering about other refinement protocols and the use of "new" random seeds. I realize some use different random seeds to create slightly different models after refinement. Is it useful to change the number from time to time when going through iterative rounds of re-building and coordinate refinement? What about ADP refinement?

Sorry for the mundane questions!

Joe
Joseph P. Noel, Ph.D.
Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute
Professor, The Jack H. Skirball Center for Chemical Biology and Proteomics
The Salk Institute for Biological Studies
10010 North Torrey Pines Road
La Jolla, CA  92037 USA

Phone: (858) 453-4100 extension 1442
Cell: (858) 349-4700