[phenixbb] Defining planarity for Phenix.refine

Francis E Reyes Francis.Reyes at Colorado.EDU
Mon Apr 19 05:21:55 PDT 2010

Peter

Restraining RNA base pairs is a debated topic. Some say that you shouldn't do this and let the X-ray data speak for itself. Some say defining these base pairs should allow the refinement to converge and not distort the rna bases too much.

@ 4A, you're asking for a lot if you're refining with individual_sites. You may want to stay with rigid body refinement with group adp /tls until you've nearly completed the model and then use individual_sites.

While I don't think phenix.refine takes base pairing restraints specifically, one option is to heavily restricting wxc_scale to a small value. Another option is to select your atoms such that A-form helices are not refined with individual_sites and place them precisely with COOT. Another option is to use refinement.geometry_restraints.edits option of phenix.refine. Another option is to switch to CNS in which you can restrain the base pairing in the way you suggest.

Just my $0.02,